Matthew is a NSW Law Society Accredited Specialist in local government and planning law.
His particular focus is on local government, planning and environmental law. Matthew regularly advises Victorian and New South Wales local governments in a diverse range of areas.
Matthew’s litigation expertise covers a range of matters before the Land and Environment Court in NSW. In the Victorian jurisdiction Matthew appears before the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal for Victorian based planning appeals.
- Advising a Council in relation to biodiversity certification and defending Class 1 proceedings in the Land and Environment Court seeking to remove vegetation for a subdivision.
- Acting for a developer and successfully overturning a Council decision to establish a primitive camping ground.
- Advising a Council in relation to compulsory acquisition of farming land for an industrial park.
- Issuing orders and prosecuting offenders for illegal transportation and disposal of waste.
- Overseeing the joint tender of a group of regional Councils in relation to landfill and waste management.
- Advising Councils on the drafting and interpretation of local environmental plans, development control plans and internal policies in NSW and planning scheme amendments in Victoria.
- Representing a Council in defending the validity of a NSW development consent for a 75 unit tourist development on the banks of the Murray River.
- Appealing the refusal of a planning permit of a Victorian Council to VCAT seeking to establish a quarry.
(02) 6021 2844